Ham History Timeline

HomeWhere is Ham?⇒ Ham History TimelinePhotos - by TagDocuments - by Tag Photos - Flip GalleryPhotos - Slide Show

Just scroll down through time and see the events that changed Ham and Petersham. At each century there is a gallery of photos to look at.

Earliest Times

Saxon period church on site of St Peters Petersham

17th Century

1610 Ham House built

Early 17th century Stafford Cottages

1650’s first inn on New Inn site

1688 Selby House built

1688 Hardwicke House built

18th Century

c 1700 original Fox and Duck built

Early 18th century Douglas House built

Early 18th century Manor House built

1715 Ormeley Lodge built

1720 Rutland Lodge built

1742 Newman House (previously Grove and Grey Court) built

c 1750 Orford Lodge and Avenue Lodge built

c 1780 Beaufort House built

1787 Petersham lock-up erected

Late 18th century Morgan House (now Cassell Hospital) built

19th Century

1804 Plough and Harrow became Dysart Arms

1811 first Teddington Lock built

1817 Ham National School established

1832 St Andrews Church built

1840’s Latchmere House built? (1808?)

1849 Russell School started

Mid 19th century Wiggins Cottages built

1854 Surrey Comet began publication

1856 St Marys Catholic chapel set up in grounds of Beaufort House (lasted until 1870)

1861 Hand and Flower licensed

Late 1970’s Manor House garden sold off for the Orangery

1865 Petersham Hotel built

1870’s New Rd built

1873 Richmond and Twickenham Times began publication

Early 1880’s Petersham Stores built

1884 Evelyn Road built

1888 footbridge connecting Ham and Teddington opened

1890 St Andrews School (Ham School) opened

1890’s first part of Lock Road built

1891 Tollemache Almshouses built

1892 Petersham became part of borough of Richmond

1894 Ham Urban District Council established

1895 Construction of All Saints Petersham started

20th Century

Early 1900’sHam and Petersham Rifle and Pistol Club established

1902 Richmond, Petersham and Ham Open Spaces Act.  Petersham Meadows and Common given to Richmond Corporation for open space for public use.  Ham Common vested in Ham UDC and in return Lammas rights extinguished over 176 acres of Ham Fields.

1904 The Dysarts leased area to Ham River Grit Company.

1908 Hammerton’s ferry started operation

1908 Petersham and Ham Sea Scouts established

1918 Secrett family took over Manor or Hatch Farm

1923 Craig Road

1926 Polo Club established?

1928 Ham Free Independent Evangelical Church erected in Lock Rd

1929 Secrett family took over farm in Ham St

1933 Ham Urban District council abolished and split between Richmond and Kingston and Ham combined with Petersham in Sudbrook ward with three councillors

1933 HPA founded as the Ham Ratepayers Association, then Ham and Petersham Ratepayers and Residents Association and in 1989 Ham and Petersham Association.

1934 Original Crooked Billet replaced opposite the Brewery Tap

1943 Russell School destroyed by bomb

1949 Sale of Dysart Estate

1946 prefabs built in Ham Close and Woodville Road

1948-9 Beaufort Court built

1949 Sale of Dysart Estate

1949 Orford House purchased by the Community of the Sisters of the Church

Early 1950’s ownership of the Avenues and Petersham Copse conveyed to Richmond Council

1951 Houses at 57 and 59 Ham St designed by Stefan Buzas (founded James Cubitt and Partners)

1951 Burnell, Randle and Simpson Roads

1951 Orchard Junior School opens

1952 Ham Library built

1952 Meadlands School built

1953 Chapel of Ease of St Elizabeth’s Catholic Church in Richmond opened

1953-1956 Parkleys built

1954 Petersham Russell Infant School built

1954 Petersham council estate built

1955 -1956 Ham Farm Road houses built

1956 Grey Court School opens

1957 Lou Secrett gave up farm

1958? Farm demolished replaced by council by thirteen units of shops with flats above

1962 Sudbrook School began in Petersham Lodge

1964 Sudbrook School moves to Village Hall

1964 -66 Ham Close flats

Ham Hall and Clinic?

1964- 1970 Wates Estate built

1966 St Richard’s church consecrated

1966 St Richards’school opens

1967 Water Gipsies pub opens

1967 Riverside Playgroup start in Ham Hall

1967 part of Gordon House garden sold for Mornington Walk

1969 Martingales Close built

1970 Riverside Playgroup becomes Acorns Playgroup and moves to Youth Club building in Back Lane

1971 Federal Republic of Germany buys Douglas House

1974 Ham School purchased to be new Catholic church now St Thomas Aquinas

1981 Orchard Junior School and Petersham Russell Infant School combine

1983 Acorns Playgroup moves to St Richard’s School when Youth Club buildings demolished

1983 Locksmeade Estate built

21st Century

2016 Sisters of the Church leave Ham and site to be developed for housing

HomeHam - By LocationHam by TopicMemory BoardsMemories by SubjectMemories by Timeline